Friday, July 14, 2006

Are there log trucks in heaven?

Dear Mr. Log Trucker:

You almost killed me, man.

Your carelessness and recklessness could have killed me and my wife in downtown Macon. You almost made orphans out of our three children.

I was stopped at a traffic light on Martin Luther King Boulevard. My life flashed before my eyes. I saw you coming hard behind me. There was no way you could stop.

I don’t know how fast you were going, except that it was way too fast.

C’mon, man. Be careful.

You were on a city street – not I-75. The roads were narrow. There were pedestrians. We don’t need out-of-control log trucks hurtling through our neighborhoods and business districts.

You swerved into the other lane – thank goodness nobody was there – and ran the red light by a full 10 seconds. Again, it was a miracle you didn’t kill anyone. By the grace of God, those cars coming down from Houston Avenue anticipated your stupidity and froze, even when their light was green.

It could have been bad, real bad.

I’m usually a calm and mild-mannered guy. I rarely get road rage.

But you made me very angry.

I rushed up the hill to catch up with you. I was ready to make a citizen’s arrest. We wrote down your license plate number and the name of the logging company.

We called to lodge a complaint. The lady listened, but we don’t know if it will do any good.

That’s the tragic part. Keep driving like that, buddy, and you’ll get killed. Sadly, you may take innocent people with you.

If we contacted the Georgia State Patrol, they could probably find enough violations to lock you up for a while.

This is not an indictment against truckers. They represent a backbone of American commerce. Without them, we would not get the goods and services we need.

But please be more careful. Just because you’re bigger and in a hurry doesn’t give you the right to be a madman.

I only hope you’ll read this, and maybe someone’s life will be saved.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been rear ended by an 18 wheeler while at a complete stop, I can understand your feelings about truck drivers.
While what you say is true, they are the backbone blah blah blah, the majority of them are too ignorant, in my opinion, to be doing any other occupation, and it seems that they give a CDL to just about anyone who applies for one. Once you get your CDL, hey, everything they teach you at truck drivn' skool must just go out the window.
I am glad nobody was hurt in your experience. To this day I suffer. If I drive on the highway I do 80 mph to pass the big rigs who might not see me and come over into my lane. *paranoid* Everytime I see one in my rearview, I have a panic attack.
Life goes on, and I just had to find a solution that worked for me to avoid these monsters with what I feel are simply low lifes of society driving them.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My opinion is that there are too many trucks on the road. I know that we need goods, but is there no better way? Most truckers just do not realize that they need to slow down. Even when weather is bad they still go way too fast. We can share the roads if we all just try to be more careful.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have truck drivers all through my family and I find it highly rude to say that they are all too ignorant to do anything else. As with any profession, there are always going to be those who don't need to be doing what they're doing. And yes, big rigs do tend to make me nervous when I get beside them in a curve or behind a log truck. People need to understand though that the driver only has control over so much of the vehicle. They can't help loads shifting or other drivers on the road not realizing and respecting they need a little more room than those of us in regular vehicles. Driving a big truck is something that requires a lot more concentration and attention than operating a passenger vehicle. I guarantee if all the truckers in America went on strike for a week, certain people would think twice before calling them ignorant and low-life again. Where would you fill up your gas tank when no gas was being delivered? Where would you buy your groceries when the store shelves were empty? Where would you buy your clothes when the racks were empty? An awareness of these vehicles is healthy and necessary, but try to be a little more understanding before you lower yourself to the standards that you have demonstrated.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From my experience, you can make a complaint about trucks and there driving to your local weight station. Here in Macon, that would be the one located in Forsyth.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home