Monday, August 07, 2006


Trust and lemons

"Well, now I got my money back, I’m gonna be a little more careful. I’ve learned my lesson. Trust nobody.” – Barney Fife.

We watched an episode of “The Andy Griffith Show” in Sunday School yesterday. That might not sound like the most spiritual way to spend a Sunday morning. Believe me, we could have done a lot worse.

First of all, the Bible tells us to laugh, and laugh often. No problem with that.

Second, it seems every episode of the show has a moral lesson. I have taught several classes based on the series at both my church and other churches over the past six years.

Sunday was more of a challenge for me, though. Usually, I use one of these five episodes: “Man in a Hurry,” “Opie the Birdman,’’ “Mr. McBeevee,’’ “The Pickle Story,’’ and “Rafe Hollister Sings.’’

Those are what I consider to be the best of the best. But I had taught every one of those episodes a few months ago, so I was looking for some new material.

I watched four shows Saturday night, then settled on “Barney’s First Car.’’ It had been several years since I had seen it, but I thought it would be ideal . Barney faces a moral issue we all must deal with every day.

Who do you trust?

To refresh your memory, Barney withdraws his life’s savings ($300) from the bank to buy his first car. In the want ads, he finds a widow from Mount Pilot who is trying to sell her deceased husband’s car.

While Barney and Andy are waiting on the front porch for her to arrive with the car on a Sunday afternoon, their dialogue is one of one of my all-time favorites in the show's history. Barney is talking about this being the biggest purchase he has ever made.

Barney: The last big buy was my mom's and dad's anniversary present.
Andy: What'd ya get 'em?
Barney: A septic tank.
Andy: For their anniversary?
Barney: They're awful hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they could use. They were really thrilled. It had two tons of concrete in it. All steel reinforced.
Andy: You're a fine son, Barn.
Barney: I try.

In the end, Barney is way too trusting of this little old lady and her story. He falls for her con job and buys the car – which turns out to be a lemon.

The question it leaves us all with is: Who can we trust?

It’s sad, but I’m convinced there are very few people we can trust anymore.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say, but just this past week, I have fell into the lemon catagory! I made a BIG mistake of not taking this car to get looked over. I trusted the person that was selling it. Haven't even had it a week, bought it very inexpensively for my 16 yr. old. Didn't want to spend to much on her first car, you see. So far now, I have to buy tires, didn't see the wire coming through on 2 of them. They must have been painted over! AC works good, but sounds like it's fixing to drop out. Sometimes it cranked, sometimes it didn't. That was a minor adjustment though, thankfully found that out! Don't EVER trust anybody on this issue. Take it somewhere to have it looked at. Is my moral of the story.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home