Wednesday, August 02, 2006

More questions than answers

I have written about the homeless in our city many times. I have commented on the panhandling problem downtown and even offered solutions about what to do about it.

There is no easy answer. It’s an issue I struggle with every day.

Should I give money to the hungry lady who fed me the same story on Cherry Street a few weeks back? If I give them my pocket change, will they just go away and leave me alone? Does this guy really need money for a bus ticket or is that Greyhound going for a bottle of Wild Turkey?

Of course, the biggest question is always: Do I have a right to judge?

I have been blessed in my life. I believe in helping people.

I also get approached by people several times a day. I try not to let them intimidate me. Sometimes I try to help them.

I want to believe their stories, even though many times I can see right through them. Not all of them are down on their luck. They’re just lazy. They’re leeches. They’re out there hassling people.

And, every now and then, one of them will make me very angry. It happened the other day. I would have expected it any number of places downtown. But it took place in one of Macon’s suburban shopping centers.

I had stopped on my way home from work to pick up a few things at the grocery store. As I was walking to my car, I noticed a man with a backpack in the parking lot. He looked tired and dirty, and I figured he had drifted off the interstate.

He was approaching shoppers as they came out of the store, most of them women. I know he frightened several of them. I could see the looks on their faces. He was asking folks for 75 cents to buy something. I don’t know what.

I picked up my pace, so I could rush to my car and avoid this guy. But he was too quick. I had no sooner put my groceries in the back seat and turned around and he was there.

I did not even give him time to get the words out of his mouth.

“Not today, buddy,’’ I said.

He gave me a cold look.

“I sure hope God doesn’t tell you that,’’ he said, turning to walk away.

So what do you do next? Give him money because you feel guilty?

Pray to be a better person while he preys on your own emotions?

I always end up with more questions than answers.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helping homeless people can be an emotional dilemma. I decided years ago to set my limits on who was qualified to be helped. It is my goal not to be an enabler to those who prey on our purse strings. I have seen women walking with several children that never ask for a handout but I try to help them. If someone has a visible handicap without question, I give to them. Ones I don't give to is the people who stand beside the interstates with signs. I figure if they have the stamina to do that much then they can push a broom somewhere for a minumum wage. The bottom line indicator or my gauge is my stomach. If the pit of my stomach starts feeling uncomfortable then I know that my seventh sense is kicking in and I don't give to that person. It is a growing problem and I do feel have empathy for those who have this horrible struggle,especially the children that are caught up in their parents downward spiral.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your question in today's blog..."should I judge them"...when changed to "does this person deserve MY EARNED money" is much easier to answer. It then becomes an issue of whether my charity money is being used to best advantage. Several years ago I decided to not give to street folk asking for food money...but instead invite them to meet me at the nearest eating place where I will buy them a meal. Few every show up. I believe that weeds out those wanting food from those wanting someone to pass the bottle in the brown paper.

John G. Kelley, Jr.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I give them a look that usually makes them go the other way---i feel absolutely guilt free in telling them to go on away from me--i dont think it a dilemma at all other than they are too sorry to go find some type of work..zero tolerance is the way to go--

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right this is a growing problem. Some have mental issues, and receive help from local agencies, some receive help from the Macon Rescue Mission and other agencies. You have to let your conscience be your guide. If you are a Christian and you tithe at church, and give to local charities of your choice, then your conscience should be free. We should help people because we don't know when it will be our turn to need help. But God has also given us common sense....use it!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home